Sunday, October 28, 2018

White Men Are The Problem

There was a billboard this week that said, "Make America White Again."

Many posts this week, and every time we have a mass murder event, blame white men.

The problem highlighted by the racist, hate filled, white man we have as president is more than a matter of numbers (white men being a majority of men in the USA) but the culture these men have been raised in. Hate, bigotry, and violence are learned traits. Mental delusions are an improper reaction to a persons perception of their lot in life. 

It's just a fact that white men are responsible for much of the violence and death in America. It's just a fact that most child molesters are middle age white men whether the abused kid is male, or female. It's just a fact that white men commit most of the crime in America. That's a reality of the numbers, but it's more than just the numbers of a majority, it's a sickness of societal norms.  

Must I apologize for being a white man? I am certainly not involved in, or the cause of these criminal, murderous acts. Yet, I feel the guilt just for being who I am. I enslaved no one, but my ancestors did. My grandfather hated black people and used to boast about being at a lynching in the 1890's. I was shocked at his thinking. Must I take on his guilt? To a certain extent, yes. That's why I support government positions like affirmative action and non-discrimination laws.  

Being part of the cultural norms of a white male in America and how that breeds this criminality and violence. It's a complex mix unique to America that defines a man's self worth. Capitalism has a lot to do with self worth. Peer pressure of being financially successful and/or successful in position in life and society is part of it. If a man thinks he is a failure, that causes desperation.   

I can't just blame testosterone. As an adult I'm supposed to be in control of my actions. If I feel I am a failure that doesn't mean I can kill myself, or kill others. That takes a delusional mind.

If I feel I'm a failure, why would I blame someone else for that, or some group. These guys are mentally ill. The idea that these killers kill because they feel put upon, or treated unfairly by society, is bullshit.

Normal white men can be fulfilled just being a garbage man their whole lives, knowing they are providing for their families at honest, hard work. It's the illusion created by society that confuses the weaker mind. The idea of competition and can a man measure up to his fellow man, if a mans answer to that is no, that can cause unbelievable anger in a man. 

The bomber was 50 years old and living with his parents. How did he get to that position in life? However it happened he obviously blamed someone besides himself and his self worth cannot accept the situation he finds himself in.

I'm going to reject feeling guilty just because I'm a white man. But I have known many men that have "dark hearts." Much of it caused by their upbringing. I've met guys who seem totally nice, just to find out they were bigots, or women beaters, or dishonest to ensure they get more than the next guy. Why do lawyers lie? Why are rich men greedy, cheating ass holes? Why do people who seem to have everything, want more, and will do anything to get more?

This white man has fought against the "dark hearts" all his life including getting arrested for protesting injustice, giving money to help, using my position in business to give a help up in life to those who have society's bigotry against them.

MLK was speaking to me when he pleaded for society to end racism. He wasn't speaking to some black guy who couldn't get a job because he was black.

I have ended what I thought were good friendships because as we sat and talked I would not accept his definition of his next door black neighbors as, "the yard apes are out barbecuing again, so I don't want to go out in my backyard."

I once reported my white buddy to the police for badly beating a black guy because he had sex with a white girl.

In my circle of friends, I find white guys have improved their attitudes since I was young. Maybe that's because I have eliminated those "dark hearts" from my circle of friends. But I believe I can see the improvement since the 1950's. I am well aware of the "dark heat" men that are out there. I have had little success at changing their hearts, but I speak up at the risk of losing their friendship.

I don't have the answer, but I can control my reactions and speak out to my white friends when they are inappropriate. If I end a friendship for those reasons, maybe that is lesson enough. I don't know, because I usually never see them again, but I doubt it.

The numbers tell us white men are to blame, but lets not make the same mistake the haters do and blame a whole group for the actions of some of that group.

My response to feeling the guilt of being a white man is to help make society better towards all people.  

2 comments:

  1. I have no white guilt but I do feel a sense of responsibility to my neighbors and others not born with my white privilege. I try to be more courteous and respectful toward people of color and of a different national origin. I am also, very much less tolerant of whites who behave badly TO those folks. Perhaps because of my white privilege I am much more comfortable with handling conflict, too, so I speak my mind freely and loudly in public, so that everyone knows where I stand. Here in Tennessee that puts ME in the minority category. For sure it ain't ALL white people? but for SURE the "Cheese has done completely slud off some 'Crackers'." Crazy comes in all shades. But crazy folk of a different skin color are scrutinized more closely, and dealt with more quickly. Crazy is attempting to control sanity, these days, and I feel a sense of responsibility to try to keep that from happening.
    Kindest Regards,
    bj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi bj,

    I have no conception of what it must have been like to grow up in the South. A different experience and view point I'm sure.

    One of the nuttiest things I ever heard George Bush say (and he was famous for saying crazy things) is that he was going to end hate in the world. Can't be done.

    ReplyDelete