Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Smore


A smore. A simple, now famous treat.

In my time a smore was a Halloween treat only. After my brothers and I were done trick or treating and our pillow sacks were full of candy we would come home and spread our goodies out on the living room floor for our parents to see.

While we were out getting goodies my Mom was home giving out goodies to trick or treaters and fixing diner. Diner was hot dogs roasted over the fire in the fireplace and fresh french fries. Desert was a smore.

Smores are simple, gooey, and messy.

A graham cracker with a Hershey bar and a fire roasted marshmallow. The marshmallow was supposed to be hot enough to melt the chocolate when squeezed together as a sandwich. Many marshmallows went up in flames.

I have no idea why my Mom only did this for Halloween, but that was our tradition. Mom got the recipe off the graham cracker box. This was in the 1950's.

Halloween has always been my favorite Holiday. It's a little surprising that Halloween has become so popular, but well deserved. As a young adult I was famous for my Halloween costume parties. 

No comments:

Post a Comment