Monday, October 15, 2018

Duluth News Tribune Endorses Stauber for Minnesota 8th District

This is one of those House seats Steve Kornacki said the Democrats have to win if they want to take majority in the House. The 8th District in Northern Minnesota (where I live). It's been a close, heated contest, until recently when Stauber took a double digit lead.

Kornacki himself on MSNBC this morning said he thought Stauber's recent lead was because of the Kavanaugh hearings. I disagree with that thinking, but that puts me against Kornacki who I think is the best in the business reading these numbers and motivations on these (this) race(s).

The Duluth Tribune's fully explained endorsement is here.

I disagree with the Duluth Tribune's endorsement; not only because I am a Democrat and Stauber is a Republican, but because Stauber is being less than truthful on how he will vote on cutting funding for Social Security and Medicare. If we are to believe Stauber, he will be the new maverick in the Republican party. The new anti-Republican, Republican. But his record shows no sign of him being one who goes against his own party. True, he refused to attend Trump's recent visit to Minnesota, but how hard is it to not want to be seen on the same stage with such a liar and hater?

What is not mentioned in the Duluth Tribune's endorsement is Radinovich's (Stauber's Democratic opponent) criminal record.

Like most around the country our area has been bombarded with political ads. The anti-Radinovich ads are taking all the ad time in our area, and the money to fund those ads is coming from outside our area.

The ads are telling about Radinovich's 30 misdemeanor charges (including possession of drug paraphernalia)  his driver's license being suspended 3 times, and his unpaid fines that led to those driver's license suspensions. These are all driving violations, but do not include any driving under the influence charges. He got his driver's license suspensions because for years he did not pay his fines.

Those charges have been fact checked by many organizations including the Duluth Tribune and found to be accurate, not to mention Radinovich does not deny the charges. Radinovich admits the charges are correct, he went to court against Stauber because Stauber's ads claimed those offenses were felonies, which they were not, and Radinovich won in court.

I believe it's these criminal charges that have led to Stauber's double digit lead, not that his Republican policies have won over the voters in my area.

I disagree with many laws on the books, but as a law abiding citizen I am expected to follow those laws and I expect everyone to follow those laws. Radinovich is no robber, or rapist, but he doesn't deserve my vote as my elected legislator. I believe this thinking is similar to the thinking of my fellow voters in this area, and that is why Radinovich has fallen in the polls. Something the Duluth Tribune and MSNBC's Kornacki never mentioned. 

I will be voting for the third party candidate - The Independence Party candidate is Ray Skip Sandman of Duluth, MN.

No comments:

Post a Comment