Friday, September 14, 2018

Fall Is On Its Way




I live about 50 miles from the Canadian border, so Fall usually comes earlier here than most of the United States. This week the high temperatures have been close to 80 F. We have already had some cold nights and some of the leaves have started to change color. That process will quicken. By Monday and for the foreseeable future, the daily high temperatures will not get above the mid 50's F.

The weather (recently) has been beautiful. Warm days, cool nights, dry, and clear night skies for star gazing. Perfect for all outdoor sports and sleeping. The weather will get even better (in my opinion) over the next 8 weeks. The trees will look like a rainbow. The bugs will start to disappear. I will light fires to keep the house warm, it's a little to early to turn on the furnace. Yes, we will get cold rains and the occasional snow and certainly some big storms as Winter pushes in, but I love Fall.

This will be my 64th Winter living in a Winter State. I have seen record bad weather. Blizzards, sub-zero cold, and unbelievable amounts of snow. I hope this Winter is better than last Winter. Last Winter was the coldest I could remember. We had 25-30 below zero  F temperatures for so many days in a row, it became normal. At those temperatures the physics of the air changes. Scientists come up here to do their experiments. Local weather guys love to throw a bucket of water in the air and watch if freeze before it his the ground, on live TV.

I can certainly understand why the older people get, the more they move down South. Some of my friends have already moved South and many others plan to move South as soon as they retire. The wealthy ones have homes both here and down South and move back and forth between Summer and Winter. I am not in that position and will live here til I die, although, I do play the lottery. It's probably true that people live longer in a warmer climate, but we have plenty of folks in their 90's and even over 100.

Hope your Fall is beautiful!  


No comments:

Post a Comment